Our Commitment to Privacy
The NEC Society values your trust, and we understand the importance of protecting your privacy. We want to make sure you understand how your information is collected and used by the NEC Society. This privacy statement (“Privacy Statement”) describes what information we collect about you, including when and how we collect it; how we use it; with whom we may share it; and what choices you have regarding our use of your information.
This Privacy Statement applies to all information collected through your communications with the NEC Society, whether electronic, written or oral; information collected through mobile applications (“Apps”) or the NEC Society websites (“Sites”); as well as any other information about you that we may collect offline or receive from third-parties (collectively, social media tools, Apps, Sites, and offline or third-party information are referred to as the “Services”). By accessing our content and resources or providing your information to us, you accept and agree to the practices described in this Privacy Statement.
The NEC Society wants you to know how we use and protect the important information you provide to us. This information summarizes our policy, procedures and practices.
We collect information as a way to further our mission of building a world without NEC. The information you provide allows us to respond to your inquiries and to provide you with the information, resources, and assistance you request.
When we ask for certain types of sensitive information, we will tell you how we intend to use and disclose that information.
We will use — and require any external vendors to use — reasonable and appropriate security practices to safeguard your information. By continuing to browse our website you consent to our collection and storage of your Personal Information (as defined below) for the limited purposes of the NEC Society’s efforts. You have the right at any time to withdraw your consent and request that your information be deleted. If you change your mind about allowing us to store or use your information or have questions about our privacy practices, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
We collect personal information using various methods:
• Standard Web server traffic pattern information. General traffic, site usage, browser information, and length of stay information is collected and stored in log files. This type of information is shared externally only on an aggregated basis.
• Personal information. We may request contact information such as your name, mailing address, telephone number, e-mail address, and your preferences for how you would like to be contacted. We do not collect personally identifiable information from you unless you provide it to us voluntarily and knowingly. Personal information may be needed for certain optional online or offline activities.
• Contributions and donations. If you choose to donate to our organization, we maintain a record of your contribution using Kindful. Donations can also be mailed to the NEC Society at 140 B St. Suite 5 #128.
• The NEC Society does not knowingly contact or solicit donations from individuals under 18 years of age. However, that may be occasionally unavoidable if an outside source gave us information but we did not collect or append age information to its lists.
• If you submit an online request to the NEC Society, we may have to gather additional information from you to respond to your request. Such information will vary with the request but often includes name, address, telephone number, and email address.
• Third-party Fundraising Campaigns, Promotions or Events. We may use or interact with third-parties to conduct fundraising campaigns, promotions or events, including online platforms. In these instances, we may receive access to donor reports which includes donor names, contact information and donation amounts.
• Social Media Interfaces. If you elect to engage with our social media tools like Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Twitter, or others, personal Information from your social media account may be shared with us, which may include personal information that is part of your profile or your friends’ profiles; in addition, if you log-in to our website using your social media account, use a “like” button or use other social media features while visiting our website, those social media companies may collect information about you. Your interactions with social media companies and the use of their features are governed by their privacy policies.
• Email, Digital, and Telephone Marketing. You will be added to the NEC Society email list if you register to receive emails, digital advertising, or telephone calls via a form or if you add your contact information to connect with us or receive blogs. You may opt out or modify your subscription to these communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link included in every email we send.
How We May Use Your Personal Information
• Mission Delivery and Fundraising. We will use your Personal Information for mission delivery and support operations, and to respond to your inquiries and provide you with the information, resources and support services you request.
• News, Content, and Developments. We may use your Personal Information to keep you informed about the NEC Society, to notify you of advancements, program updates, and developments that may be of interest to you, to invite you to upcoming Society events in your area, to request voluntary time or monetary contributions, or to request your participation in a Society research study.
• Understanding the Community.We may use your Personal Information to help us better understand the individuals we serve, to better communicate with you, and to better serve you and your community with relevant programs, services and information.
• Data Analytics. We perform data analysis and research activities to gain a greater general understanding of prevention, treatments, and the related needs of patients and providers. This analysis can help us improve patient experiences, mission delivery, and support.
• Other Business Purposes.We may use Personal Information for other business purposes, such as conducting audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new services, enhancing, improving or modifying our programs and our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of fundraising campaigns and mission activities, and updating and expanding our business activities.
• Legitimate Marketing Purposes.We may use your data for legitimate marketing purposes where we believe our services and resources will be of interest to you. You can ask us not to use your personal data for marketing purposes. You can do this by “unsubscribing” on the forms we use to collect your data and on any marketing emails we send you. You can also ask us at any time by contacting us.
• Third Parties. The NEC Society or a third party organization may perform analyses of website user behavior in order to improve programs, tailor information you receive, and measure user interest in various areas of this website. We will disclose this information to third parties only in aggregate form.
• Build donor, supporter, or volunteer “persona’s to create aggregated profiles of individuals with similar interests, living locations, hobbies, information sources, and donation patterns. Personal Information may also be used for lead scoring, lead and demand generation, and donor identification purposes.
• If you provide personal information, we may enter your name into our constituent database and contact you in order to:
o Complete voluntary surveys, polls or focus groups seeking feedback for quality and program improvement purposes.
o Supply you with information including news, programs, events, and research.
o Ask for participation or volunteering in signature, community, or special events.
o Request voluntary time or monetary contributions.
o Request your participation in a research study.
o Request your participation or input and feedback on programs, initiatives, or campaigns.
o Engage with you by utilizing your Personal Information to identify, confirm, verify, process, prove, or troubleshoot donation or gift donations.
• We collect the email addresses of those who communicate with us by email, web-based communications, social media communications, apps, telephone, digital marketing forms, polls, or surveys. Inquiries may be forwarded to the appropriate Staff, Board of Directors, or volunteers for response and may be entered into our constituent database. If your name is entered into the database, we may contact you.
In addition to the other uses described in this section, we may also use your information as you expressly authorize us to do so.
Sharing Your Information with NEC Society-approved Entities
Where necessary or where we have the right to do so, we will share your personal information internally and with NEC Society-approved third parties including volunteers, business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for mission delivery and advancement. The NEC Society will not sell, trade, or share your personal information obtained through our website(s) , direct mail or mailed-in donations, verbally, or any other online or offline means or methods – with anyone outside NEC Society staff, Board of Directors, or approved volunteers or third parties – without your consent – nor will the NEC Society send donor mailings or emails on behalf of another organization without your written permission to do so. We will always use—and require our data management vendors to use—reasonable and appropriate security practices to safeguard your information.
The NEC Society may share select Personal Information with:
• NEC Society Staff Employees and Board of Directors
• Third party providers that offer operational services to the NEC Society
• Mission collaborators such as approved volunteers, boards, or event organizers,
• Society affiliates that share a common mission,
• Nonprofit list exchange with other nonprofit organizations, on a limited basis,
• Social media tools and fundraising will link your accounts to fundraising efforts and applications.
We respect your privacy and allow you to restrict internal and external sharing of your personal information. We recognize that you may wish to limit the ways in which we contact you and we offer the following options:
• Do not contact me by telephone.
• Do not contact me by postal mail.
• Do not contact me by email.
• Do not contact me with fundraising requests.
To inform us of any desired restrictions, please email us at email@example.com If you contact us with an opt-out request, all reasonable efforts will be taken to ensure that you will not receive any of the selected communications from us in the future. In addition, as noted elsewhere in this Privacy Statement, you have the option at any time to withdraw your consent for us to collect, store and share your Personal Information, and to have us delete it from our systems.
Upon request, we will provide you with the information we maintain about you so that you may request corrections. This information will be sent via postal mail, which we believe is the most secure method of communication. You may contact the NEC Society in writing at:
140 B St. Suite 5 #128
To protect your privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before providing information or making corrections.
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal information and to honoring your choices for its intended use. To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we strive to maintain physical, electronic, and administrative safeguards.
Links within Our Website
Our privacy policies apply only to your use of the NEC Society Website. This site contains links to other sites, including sites that have a special relationship with us. We do not disclose personal identifiable information to those operating linked sites and we are not responsible for their privacy practices. Links to other sites do not imply an endorsement of the materials or policies on those Websites. You should read the privacy policies of each site you visit to determine what information that site may be collecting about you.
Information we collect and how we may use it
If you are a customer of Kindful, we collect certain information about you in order to provide you with our donor management system and/or online payment service (the “Service”). When you register for the Service we will request some personal information such as your name and email address, and information about your organization such as the name of your organization, Tax ID, mailing address, and tax designation. Furthermore, if you are opening a merchant account, Kindful may also obtain information about you from third party sources, including, without limitation, consumer reporting agencies. This information is used to contact you about the services on our Site for which you have expressed an interest. As part of the Service, we may also collect donor information on behalf of your organization. Except as may be expressly set forth herein, we will not use any donor information collected on your behalf for any purpose other than to provide the Service. Any tax or financial information we collect is used only to bill you for the Service. If you purchase the Service by credit card, this information will be transmitted to our credit card merchant account provider, and may be forwarded to your credit card provider. We do not store credit card information.
If you are a donor for a Kindful customer, we collect certain information from you in order to process your donation (“Donor Information”). Kindful will use Donor Information during the course of providing the Service to such Kindful customer. Kindful may also use Donor Information at an aggregate level for internal business analyses and fraud prevention. During the course of providing the Service to Kindful customers, Kindful may disclose Donor Information to banks, processors, card associations, and other financial institutions that are involved in the course of processing or screening the transaction applicable to the Donor Information.
We may use personal information for internal purposes to provide you with other products and services, or to contact you regarding administrative notices or communications relevant to you on this Site. In addition, we may use personal information to provide or improve products or services that you have requested.
We will only use access to read Gmail message bodies (including attachments), metadata, headers, and settings to display emails to authorized users of Kindful and will not transfer this Gmail data to others unless doing so is necessary to provide and improve these features, comply with applicable law, or as part of a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets.
We will not use this Gmail data for serving advertisements.
We will not allow humans to read this data unless we have your affirmative agreement for specific messages, doing so is necessary for security purposes such as investigating abuse, to comply with applicable law, or for our internal operations and even then only when the data have been aggregated and anonymized.
When we disclose your information
Kindful takes your privacy very seriously. The information we collect is used to provide the Service, and, in general, is not shared with or sold to other organizations for commercial purposes. However, there are times when it may be advantageous for Kindful to make certain personal information about you available to companies that Kindful has a strategic relationship with or that perform work for Kindful to provide products and services to you on our behalf. These companies may help us process information, deliver products or services to you, provide customer service, manage and enhance user data, assess your interest in our products and services, or conduct user research or satisfaction surveys. We may also disclose your personal information, if you have authorized us to act on your behalf to initiate the creation of a merchant account for the purpose of accepting donations by credit card.
At times we may be required by law or litigation to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary.
In addition, Kindful may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy. In such an event, personal information may be one of the assets transferred.
How we protect your personal information
Kindful takes precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft, and misuse, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission that can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse.
You can help us by also taking precautions to protect your personal data when you are on the internet. Do not share your registration information with anyone, and make sure you use a secure web browser.
Accessing your information
This Site may contain web pages through which you can correct or update some of the personal information you have provided to us. Kindful will make a good faith effort to make requested changes and correct your data if it is inaccurate or delete the data if we are not required to retain it by law or for legitimate purposes.
Cookies and other technologies
To make this Site more useful to you, we automatically gather general statistical information about this Site and its visitors, such as IP addresses (and information tied to IP addresses, such as screen size, color depth, language, java enabling, flash version, page title, host name, referring source, and page path), browsers, pages viewed, number of visitors, services purchased, etc. In doing so, we do not reference you by name, email, mailing address, or any similar personal information. We use this data in the aggregate to learn about our visitors and to improve our ability to cater to their needs. We may use third party vendors to gather general statistical information about this Site and its visitors as well as to perform certain services on behalf of this Site, such as hosting this Site, designing or operating this Site’s features, or performing other administrative services. We may provide these companies with access to your personal information to carry out the services they are performing for you or for Kindful.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident and request information about how to exercise your third party disclosure choices you must send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.